"And 30 years went by". How in Minsk did the legendary watch "Electronics"
“Everyone bought with pleasure”
At the best of times, the factory produced 53 models of watches. They made men, women, children’s models, stopwatches, pendants and even watch-pens. There were watches of the usual execution, shockproof, waterproof, waterproof. In some models there was a calendar, alarm clock, stopwatch.
- The capacity of the plant was six million hours a year.There was a time when we produced ten million hours a year, ”recalls Alexander Lazarevich.
Electronic clocks were to be a mass product. The first electronic wrist watches made in Minsk, “Twist 2B”, “Field 4” - cost 140 rubles. After the price of the wrist “Electronics” gradually decreased: at the end of the 70s, the watch could be bought for 78 rubles, in the late 80s - for 50 rubles. “Everyone bought with pleasure,” recalls Alexander Lazarevich.
“We made the cases ourselves: there was a turning section of automatic machines,” says Alexander Lazarevich. - At first, the brass pipe was cut, then it was fed to a hot press and received the shape of the body. The next step was processing, then, depending on the type of coating, the body was chromed or coated by another method.
- First, a crystal was “planted” on the board, it was boiled loose.Protection was added, a function check was carried out, the indicator board was installed in the clip. Then the holder was assembled, the battery was inserted. The unit was already a clock. The next stage - installation in the case, setting the frequency, paperwork, presentation on PSI and packaging.
Maximum error: second in ten days
The manufacturer was obliged to set the clock to the exact time. While in “Electronics” there was no digital setting of the course, the time was manually set by the workers of the plant.
- We had a time line. There was equipment that rang out from the 55th second of every minute. There was such a "dogwood" - a wand that does not scratch the metal. She was put on the control button and the sixth signal - released. So set the current time with an accuracy of tenths of a second.
The clock was very accurate: the factory achieved a daily movement of 0.1 seconds per day. This means that in ten days the clock could be left behind or go ahead for a maximum of one second.
The main "chip" of the "Electronics 5" series was the function of automatic digital setting of the stroke.It was possible to set the value of the regular correction to time so that the clock itself adjusted the error.
Hours passed 38 types of tests. Among them were tests for climatic influences (cold and heat), the effects of moisture, salt fog, artificial sweat, solar radiation, repeated shocks and sinusoidal vibration. Checked the accuracy of the daily course at different temperatures.
The shock-proof watch had to withstand a drop from a meter height on a hard surface, as well as strikes with a special test hammer.
- The clock was placed on the edge of the table or on the stand with the “face” to the hammer. The metal pendulum fell with the acceleration of free fall and hit the surface of a plane-parallel. After this strike, the clock fell into a fabric bag. If the glass remained intact, the operability was checked, the daily variation, if the parameters met the requirements, then the product passed the test.
The waterproof watch was immersed under water to a depth of 10 centimeters and subjected to pressure for 10 minutes, which corresponded to a depth of 50 meters.
- After that, tests were conducted for the absence of condensate inside the case. The clock was heated to a temperature of 30 degrees for 30 minutes. After that, water was dropped on the glass with a temperature of 18 degrees. Within a minute no condensation should form on the glass. This indicated complete waterproofing.
Warranty - two years, but the clock is still
The factory warranty extended to the first two years from the date of sale, the passport indicated the service life of five years. However, according to Alexander Lazarevich, some watches went for decades. He now regularly responds to letters from people who ask to repair or send spare parts for watches purchased in the 90s.
- For example, a letter from a person from the Sverdlovsk region. He has a 20 years old watch "Electronics 55B". But the glass broke. Or another person from Russia writes: his colleague swung his ax and hit his arm. The watch saved the hand, but was damaged. He asks where to buy new ones.
We prepare a written response to all appeals and try to provide the necessary assistance in the restoration. Then we also send by mail. Because consumers of products must be respected.
Massively electronic wrist watches at the factory were produced until 2012. Now the branch continues to work and produces other watches: desk, wall, office, street, information boards with built-in watches and other products.