BCA Atherosclerosis: What It Is, Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Atherosclerosis of the brachiocephalic arteries is one of the most severe vascular pathologies (atherosclerosis of the BCA according to ICD 10 - I70). This type of artery supplies oxygen, so a person can be in serious danger if the blood circulation is disturbed. One of the most serious complications of such a diagnosis is an extensive stroke. It is well known that this condition often leads to death or severe disability. What is it - atherosclerosis of the BCA, what are the symptoms and treatment of this disease? What are the causes of the disease, who is in the risk category? About all this will be discussed in our article.
As a violation of the brain atherosclerosis of the cerebral vessels has a classification code for ICD 10, being among the chronic, difficult to cure, stroke-provoking diseases.
Its essence is in the deposition on the walls of the arteries supplying blood to the brain tissue, fat accumulations in the form of plaques, which subsequently not only expand, but also are transformed into connective tissue.Because of this, the lumen between the walls of the blood vessels becomes increasingly narrow and the blood supply to the brain suffers.
Cerebral atherosclerosis occurs more often in older people, its code is ICD 10: 167.2, it accounts for about half of the diseases of the cardiovascular system.
Atherosclerosis BCA: what is it?
Brachiocephalic arteries are a collection of vessels that feed the brain. They form the so-called circle of Willis, responsible for the uniform nutrition of absolutely all parts of the brain. The appearance of any narrowing of the lumen in any area of this circle can be threatened with oxygen starvation of the whole brain, and, moreover, the occurrence of a vast stroke.
The diagnostic age interval, when most patients had an ICD-10 atherosclerosis of cerebral vessels, was 40-50 years old.
To date, doctors distinguish two types of atherosclerosis. What is it - non-stenotic atherosclerosis of the BCA? Against its background, fatty plaques are arranged longitudinally, without completely clogging the vessels. The second type is stenosing atherosclerosis of the BCA. When it plaques are formed in the form of tubercles, they increase in size and are able to completely block the lumen of the vessel.
Of course, the second type of disease is most dangerous. If there is such a deviation, delayed treatment will inevitably lead to the development of a stroke. Nonstenosating atherosclerosis of the extracranial regions of the brachycephalic arteries is determined in case the plaque covers less than half of the internal lumen. This disease requires timely treatment, along with emergency medical care. In order to have time to consult a doctor, everyone must have an idea about the first symptoms of this pathology.
Everyone should know about this: symptoms of the disease
Atherosclerosis BCA: what is it in terms of manifestation? Unfortunately, in its early stages, this disease does not have any prominent symptoms that may prompt a person to immediately visit a doctor. As a rule, the most initial signs of atherosclerosis of the BCA can begin with the appearance of rare and short-term dizziness, which are attributed to other ailments or banal overwork. But with the passage of time, the head begins to spin more and more often, and a person may experience the following symptoms of atherosclerosis:
- Loss of concentration or its decline.
- Memory is deteriorating.
- Sensation of pre-unconscious states.
- Fingers grow numb.
- The appearance of tinnitus.
- Regular pressure surges.
- Condition accompanied by chronic fatigue.
The greatest danger is the process of stenosis in atherosclerosis of the BCA (narrowing of the arteries). With the development of this form of atherosclerosis, there are usually the following symptoms:
- There is a feeling of pain in the heart area.
- There are stitching sensations in the hands.
- Disturbed heart rhythm.
- Eyesight deteriorates.
- Speech is getting worse.
- There is nausea.
- There are dizziness.
What should you know about atherosclerosis of the brachiocephalic vessels?
Knowledge of the symptoms, as well as methods of treatment of atherosclerosis of the brachiocephalic arteries is required for absolutely every person, and this is due to several reasons, namely:
- First of all, it should be noted that today atherosclerosis is generally one of the most common diseases, which, as a rule, doctors diagnose every fifth person under the age of thirty years, and every fourth out of five people in retirement age.Nonstenosary atherosclerosis of the extracranial parts of the BCA is increasingly being diagnosed.
- The described disease is included in the top three in terms of its prevalence among other atherosclerotic diseases.
- The severity, as well as the danger of consequences, is due to the fact that arteries that supply blood to the human brain suffer from this pathology. The acute, as well as the chronic nature of the violation of cerebral circulation, is formed very quickly.
Which patients are risk factors?
So what is it - atherosclerosis of the BCA with the stenosis process?
It mainly develops among people who are already over forty. At the moment, doctors can not give the exact reason for the formation of this pathology, but they identify several risk factors that contribute to the formation of the disease, namely:
- Smoking. This known harmful habit causes a negative effect on the whole organism, in particular, on the vessels. Due to smoking, the vascular walls become extremely brittle, and, in addition, there may be attacks of hypertension. Smoking vessels are constricted, and for some factors atherosclerosis may occur.
- High cholesterol. It is a high level of cholesterol that serves as a base for atherosclerosis plaques. Harmful fat remains on the walls of blood vessels, and, in addition, arteries, because of which the lumen gradually narrows. For this reason, the circulation is severely impaired and the risk of dangerous complications increases.
- Hypertension. When this disease often appears atherosclerosis, but without stenosis. Then the disease progresses, there are various damage to blood vessels, which lead to their excessive fragility, as well as loss of elasticity.
- Violations in the hormonal background, including against the background of contraceptive use.
- Sedentary lifestyle.
- Any associated pathology.
- Genetic predisposition of the body.
Atherosclerosis and BCA danger
Atherosclerosis of the extracranial departments of the BCA is considered to be an extremely dangerous disease that, without professional treatment, can cause disability or death of a person. The blockage of blood vessels leads to constant oxygen starvation of the brain. This subsequently leads to the development of a stroke. The main danger of pathology is late diagnosis.Atherosclerosis of the BCA (ICD 10 I70) is difficult.
Despite the fact that today, modern medicine is able to offer effective methods for the early diagnosis of atherosclerosis of the BCA, people are in no hurry to consult a doctor when the first signs of illness appear. Most often, patients turn to a specialist only when the disease is already beginning to progress, significantly reducing the quality of life of this or that person.
Today, doctors unanimously declare that with the appearance of any dizziness, it is necessary to undergo an examination. Of course, the head can spin for a variety of reasons, but timely detected pathology is easily treatable without any surgical intervention. People who suffer pressure surges and other abnormalities in the functioning of the vascular system are required to undergo an examination no less than at least once a year.
If there are signs of atherosclerosis of the brachiocephalic arteries to a person, as a rule, a number of different diagnostic procedures are prescribed by which doctors can assess the stage and, moreover, the severity of the existing pathology.First of all, an ultrasound examination of the corresponding arteries is carried out for this purpose. In addition, patients are prescribed Doppler examination of blood vessels.
Such methods provide an opportunity to assess the degree of narrowing of the lumen, the size of plaques, as well as the speed of blood flow. Establishing an assessment of these indicators allows specialists to select the optimal treatment for each patient individually.
Treatment of the disease
What is it - atherosclerosis of the BCA? Treatment, symptoms, lifestyle in this disease depend on the degree of development of the disease. For example, in the event that the disease is only beginning to develop, and in addition to infrequent vertigo, the person does not have any other abnormalities, then drug treatment is quite possible. Such therapy, as a rule, is based on the expansion of blood vessels, as well as on the prevention of the formation of cholesterol plaques.
In those situations in which the pathology has already begun to progress and stenosing atherosclerosis of the arteries is observed, then, most likely, a person will be prescribed a surgical treatment in order to release the lumen of the vessels.Such an operation is carried out by several methods, ranging from the removal of the occluded area to the installation of the stand in the problem area. Thus, the main stages in the treatment of atherosclerosis of the BCA today are:
- Complete rejection of any bad habits.
- Strict abstinence from eating fatty foods.
- Reasonable and regular exercise.
- Fighting overweight and its reduction.
- Treatment of concomitant pathologies.
- Reducing cholesterol through the use of drugs.
- Preventive measures against blood clots.
- The use of vasodilators.
- The course of vitamins.
- If necessary, surgery is required.
Treatment of atherosclerosis by folk methods
Atherosclerosis of the brachiocephalic vessels is required to be treated exclusively under the supervision of a physician. Self-treatment of this pathology can lead to the most irreversible consequences. Traditional methods of medicine, in turn, can offer a number of effective recipes, but they are appropriate only as prophylactic agents or for use as part of complex treatment.Launched forms of atherosclerosis of the BCA in the absence of medical intervention can not be eliminated. So, consider the most effective natural techniques against atherosclerosis:
- Garlic cloves. This product can be eaten both fresh and in the form of all kinds of tinctures. An excellent preventive recipe is a mixture of honey with lemon and garlic. Garlic strengthens blood vessels very well and makes their walls elastic and durable, and honey and lemon in turn compensate for the lack of vitamins, contributing to the restoration of the vascular wall. But the most important thing to remember in the treatment of garlic is the regularity of its use.
- Rosehip This product should be consumed in the form of alcohol tincture or tea. The presented natural remedy is the most effective in the prevention of this disease. In addition, with the help of rose hips, primary atherosclerosis can be treated.
Dried alfalfa. By reducing cholesterol, this product showed the greatest effectiveness. The grass is usually brewed in the form of tea or special alcoholic tinctures are made from it.As part of the treatment of alfalfa is required to comply with the dosage, as well as the reception schedule.
It is important to note that in the presence of atherosclerosis of the brachiocephalic arteries, treatment should be prescribed exclusively by the attending physician, even in the case of popular methods.
Which doctors should be consulted?
When the first signs of atherosclerosis occur, patients, as a rule, are required to contact a neurologist. This specialist will make a differential diagnosis, and in the event that the suspicions are confirmed, he will refer the patient to a cardiologist who specializes in the treatment of vascular pathologies.
Further treatment strategy will directly depend on the severity of symptoms of the disease and on the results of instrumental, and, in addition, laboratory studies.
Methods and techniques of preventive treatment
It is hardly necessary to mention once again that vascular atherosclerosis of the BCA is an extremely dangerous disease that is best prevented than later treated. This type of pathology today is more than common, and therefore doctors urge patients to the best preventive measures, which are a healthy lifestyle along with proper nutrition.But it is important to bear in mind that prevention should not be only temporary, but be part of the life of absolutely every person. Ideally, a healthy lifestyle culture should be instilled by parents since childhood. Only in this case will it be possible to protect itself from the formation of the majority of serious and dangerous diseases.
Everyone should remember that it is - atherosclerosis of the BCA, that it can be completely asymptomatic in its first stages. In the event that a person is at risk, then he should definitely take care of his state of health. Preventive measures and regular examinations should be part of the lives of all patients who are at risk. At least once a year, such patients are required to undergo medical examinations, controlling sugar levels, and, in addition, blood cholesterol. If you experience any symptoms associated with violations of the vessels should be required to contact your doctor.