How and where to measure body temperature (algorithm). Measuring body temperature in children
It would seem that every adult cancorrectly measure body temperature. Modern instruments are able to use even children. But very few people know that this process has a certain algorithm. The measurement of body temperature should be carried out taking into account all the characteristics of the body and the patient's condition. An important factor will be the environment and the type of device.
Types of devices
What actions does the algorithm require? The temperature of the body is measured with a thermometer. The most popular and inexpensive are mercury devices. The order of action with them will be as follows: shake, set, determine the degree, shake again and remove.
In recent years, widespread use ofelectronic devices. They are safer, more expensive and less accurate. To use this, you need to turn on the device, take a measurement and wait for the sound signal, wait a few more seconds, evaluate the result and turn it off.
Infrared meters are also sold. They are quite expensive and are rarely purchased by patients. However, such devices are very simple to use. The ray emanating from the meter is directed to a certain area of the body, and in a fraction of seconds you see the result. Also there are disposable strips for measuring temperature. They are glued to the forehead. Thermometer-nipples are created for children. Consider a step-by-step algorithm (measuring body temperature in different ways).
Everybody has long been familiar with the definition of temperature inunderarm area. It would seem that it can be simpler: put a thermometer, evaluated the result and, if necessary, took a febrifuge. But it turns out, not everything is so easy. There is a certain algorithm for measuring body temperature in the armpit.
- Shake the thermometer so that the mercury level is below the value of 36.
- Wipe the surface of the skin with an alcoholic cloth or rinse with water. This must be done so that sweat evaporation does not cool the mercury or electronic tip.
- Insert the device into the armpit,so that the nozzle of the device is placed in the deepest place. Firmly press your hand. It is important that the thermometer does not rest on clothes. The air should not enter the cavity space.
- If the measurement is made by a mercury thermometer,then you are at rest for 6 to 10 minutes. The electronic device will emit a signal earlier, but wait 0.5-1 minutes for a correct evaluation of the result.
- Remove the instrument and read the reading. The mercury thermometer should be shaken off immediately after measurement. If the temperature readings are high and in this condition and remain stored, the device will soon fail.
Algorithm: measurement of body temperature in the mouth
Another way to determine the degree of your body -to measure orally. To do this, mercury thermometers and some electronic ones are suitable. The last type of device should have an icon indicating its moisture resistance.
The algorithm of action will be as follows.
- Disinfect the meter. The mercury thermometer is shaken, and the electronic one is turned on. Make sure that the latter does not leak moisture.
- Stand in front of the mirror, open your mouth and lift your tongue.
- Place the tip of the device on the left or right hyoid area. Shut your mouth.
- It will take about 10 minutes to wait until the mercury instrument records your body's performance. The electronic device will measure before, but after that you should not remove it for another minute.
- Remove the device, take the reading and wipe it with a disinfectant wipe. The last step is necessary to ensure that there are no microbes or viruses left on the thermometer.
Algorithm for measuring body temperature in children
For young patients, specialdevices that allow you to quickly get indicators. Of course, you can use standard thermometers: mercury and electronic. But this is not always convenient, since a child can not often sit in one place. What will be the algorithm? Measurement of body temperature can be performed in the following ways.
- Application of thermometers-nipples. Many manufacturers produce similar thermometers. The device has the form of an ordinary nipple, you just need to give it to the baby. In a few minutes you will get the result, which will be displayed on the display. Temperature measurement in this case is done orally. Therefore, before using the device and after switching it off, disinfect it according to the instructions.
- Strips-thermometers. These devices are disposable. They are sold for several pieces in a package. It is convenient to measure the temperature of a sleeping child in this way. Simply paste the strip on the forehead. Pre-wipe the skin with sweat and dust. You will receive the result in 2-3 minutes.
- Infrared devices. These devices operate at a distance of several centimeters from the body. The child will not have to sit and wait until the level of the thermometer "runs over". It is enough to direct the beam to the forehead of the baby and fix the result. By means of infra-red devices it is possible to measure the temperature in the child's ear. After use do not forget to turn off the device.
There is another algorithm for measuringthe patient's body temperature is basal. Mercury or electronic thermometers are used for this study. It is important that the diagnosis is carried out in the morning. Before the study, you can not get out of bed. As soon as you wake up, insert the device into 1-2 inches in the rectum. Remove the device after 4-5 minutes. Be sure to wash and disinfect the thermometer. Keep in mind that the results obtained will be higher than those that you found using a measurement in the armpit.
For example, in maternity hospitals there is a specialtechnique of measuring body temperature. The algorithm assumes to place the thermometer in the area of the elbow fold. Manipulation is performed to assess the condition of the mother. Temperature measurement in the armpit at the same time gives overestimated results (due to lactation). The algorithm of action involves putting the thermometer in the elbow area, wait 7-10 minutes and remove the indicators.
You already know how to measurebody temperature. Algorithm, actions and conditions are presented to your attention. You also need to know about some rules that apply to all the methods described above.
- During the measurement you need to be at rest: do not talk, do not run.
- It is necessary to conduct the study twice a day (at the same time).
- The ambient temperature should be in the range of 18 to 23 degrees.
- Measurement after eating, child crying, stress, during menstruation and pregnancy, can give inflated results.
Follow the indicated algorithm and measure the temperature correctly.