How to grow a peach from the bone at home or in the country
Peach is a very capricious plant, demanding to heat and light, therefore many gardeners do not dare to grow it even from prepared cuttings. But it turns out that growing a peach and harvesting fruits is not so difficult if you adhere to certain rules. The most common way to multiply this plant is planting seeds, and it is very important to observe the technology to make a sturdy outgrowth of the bone.
Pros and cons of reproduction peach bone
As you know, there is nothing perfect, and the seed method, for all its merits, has drawbacks, which include the fact that varietal qualities are likely to be lost. This is due to the fact that the ovary is formed as a result of cross pollination and subsequently the fruits may not have the qualities of the mother tree. To know exactly the "sexual" belonging of the plant, you need to wait for its fruiting, and it comes in the fourth year of life.
Subject to the rules of planting and proper care the peach will give an excellent harvest.
The advantage of seed reproduction is that the specimens that have grown from seeds are much more resistant to the adverse effects of the environment, low temperatures and diseases.
First of all, it is important to choose the right planting material. Try to buy those peaches that were grown as close as possible to the place where you live. It is unlikely that seedlings from germinated seeds of Turkish or Spanish varieties will take root in our latitudes. You should not even take up this matter, because the probability of a positive outcome is extremely low.
If you get a strong seedling from such a stone, then in the open field it will most likely die with the onset of winter cold. In addition, the importation of planting material is characterized by another problem: such trees rarely bear fruit. You will receive a vain color, uselessly occupying space on the site or performing decorative functions at home.
Choosing planting material, pay attention to the fruit: it must be ripe, large and whole, with no traces of rot and other similar injuries.
When choosing planting material, note that the peach must be ripe and intact.
Note! Since not all the bones will sprout, prepare just in case a few pieces, according to the principle “the more the better”. Ideally, at least 4 seeds, because the sprouts may also die over time.
It is very important to choose a peach variety, the most suitable for growing in our latitudes, sustainable and fruitful. This will give you some assurance that the work will not be in vain. It is best to fit the fit:
- Early Rivers;
- Nectarine is white;
- Early minion;
- Pineapple nectarine.
Gallery of peach varieties suitable for our latitudes
Growing at home
There are two easy ways to grow peach from seed at home. Let's consider each of them in more detail.
- Select the bones of ripened fruits. Thoroughly clean them from the remnants of the pulp. Store in a cool, dark place for stratification for the entire winter period.
- It is necessary to stratify the stones in a small container, filling it with wet sand or sawdust. The container must be open.
- Stratified bones begin to burst, a sprout will pass from them. It must be planted in a pot with a fertile soil mixture. You can cook it yourself, taking equal parts peat and humus.
- After some time, the root system will form. After that, the formation of the tree will begin.
- Watch the soil. As soon as the earthen mound begins to dry, moderately water it, not allowing excess moisture. At this stage, place the plant in a place well lit by the sun so that growth does not slow down. In addition, the temperature should be maintained at the level of +18 to +20 C ° for the first time.
Growing in a pot
You can apply another method that is different from stratification and takes less time.
- Remove the bone from the fetus, rinse it and dry well.
- Open the bone and remove the seed from it. You can chop the shell with a knife or a hammer, but this should be done carefully so that the pulp of the seeds is not damaged.
- Remove the seeds and put them in warm water for 2-3 days. Water should be changed daily for fresh.
- After the expiry of the term, the seeds swell and increase in size. This means that they are ready for planting in the ground.
- Each seed planted in a separate container. Planting depth should be 8-10 cm. Water the soil and cover the pot with polyethylene.
- Ventilate the greenhouse daily, otherwise the ground will be covered with mold. Beforehand make in the bottom of the pot holes for draining the water so that moisture in the soil does not stagnate and the fungus does not appear. Otherwise, the seeds will simply rot.
To grow peach bones in a pot, you need to open and remove the seed.
Note! Germination of peach seeds is quite low, so you should plant several seeds at a time, and when the sprouts appear, choose the healthiest and strongest ones.
- When the seedlings germinate, provide them with proper care. A young plant needs a lot of sunlight. If the room where saplings are grown is not sufficiently lit, create an artificial light.
- Moisten the soil regularly and loosen it.
- During the rest period, keep the tree in a cool room, at a temperature of +2 to +4 С °. Spring is the period of flowering. At this time, transfer the peach pot to a warm room with a temperature of +10 to +15 ° C. After a while, the required temperature will be from +18 to +25 C °.
- Peach does not need abundant watering during the period of rest and during the ripening of fruits. Sometimes it is enough to moisten the soil.
- Transplanting in another pot should be carried out before flowering, in early spring or early September. To do this, prepare a soil mixture of leaf soil, turf, peat, humus and sand in proportions of 2: 1: 1: 1: 1.
- Feed fertilizer with mineral and organic fertilizers twice a month from early March to late August.
- The tree needs annual pruning and pinching of vigorous shoots.
A peach grown from a stone develops quickly and in a couple of months it can reach a height of 50 cm.After the appearance of lateral branches, begin the formation of the apex. The fact is that it is on the side branches that the harvest of fruits appears and they will not develop if the growth of the tree goes up.
Growing at the cottage
The best time to plant a peach in the ground is the last decade of October and the first half of November. First you need to prepare the bones: either soak in water or scarify. To do this, file the sheath with a file or slightly prick with a hammer. Completely get the seed is not necessary.
If weather conditions are favorable, you can sow seeds in open ground. Planting depth is 7–8 cm. Choose an open and sunny place - this is an important condition for peach. Pour the wells with soil, mulch and mark with pegs.
There are 2 classic peach planting patterns.
- Between growing trees there should be a distance of 3 meters. So the tree will eventually form a full crown.
- Scheme "meadow garden" - peaches are planted in a row. The distance between the rows - 2 meters, between seedlings - 0.5 meters. So each tree will give up to 15 fruits.
Planting peaches in a ‘meadow orchard’ pattern
It is not necessary to subject a peach to pruning in the first year of life, it must grow freely to create a full-fledged central shoot. Regularly water the saplings and feed them with complex fertilizers.
In the second year of life, the formation of a peach crown should begin. In April, when sap flow begins, shorten the axial shoot to form a trunk. In summer you can thin out the most advanced shoots.
Peaches planted in a “meadow garden” do not form a stem. Do spring pruning, leaving two shoots at a height of 10 cm from the soil.One of them will go to growth for fruiting, the second will fulfill the role of the reserve. By the end of autumn, prune the sprouting shoots so that the second one begins to fully bear fruit. He also needs to be cut off, leaving two escapees: the main and spare. This pruning scheme should be used in subsequent years. It is called the "principle of the fruit link."
Video about growing a peach in the country
How to deal with diseases and pests
To prevent peach diseases and pests on them, use insecticides and fungicides.
- Insecticides act on pests directly or penetrate various parts of plants where they destroy insects.
- Fungicides provide protection against diseases or restrain them. They need to be used for prophylactic purposes or at the initial stage of the disease.
To use poisons to fight diseases, you need to have some knowledge and skills. Otherwise, you risk harming your own health, destroying beneficial insects and the plant itself, as well as poisoning the soil around.
The most common peach diseases are:
- leaf curl;
- powdery mildew;
- claster psoriasis;
- fruit rot;
Leaf curl is one of the most common peach diseases.
- spider mite;
- eastern moth;
- plum moth;
Regularly inspect the peach for pests and diseases, take timely preventive measures, and you will successfully grow a great crop.It is very important to collect in the fall and burn all the fallen leaves - it is in it that the pathogens like to winter.Also timely cut the shoots that are cracked and covered with crusts. So you save the tree from disease and death.
Pest Control Video
As you can see, there is nothing difficult in the cultivation of a peach from a stone both at home and at the summer cottage. All you need is desire, accuracy, attention and patience. Share with us in the comments your experience in growing such trees and caring for them. Good luck to you!