How to put the engine?
Watch the video
Put the engine in the car is not an easy task. This requires not only knowledge of mechanics, but also an understanding of the stages of work.
Preparation for work
It is impossible to install the engine,this requires at least two assistants and a mechanical or electric winch. The winch must be securely fixed to the ceiling so that the mount does not stop under the weight of the engine. If there is no possibility to install a winch, then you can use a strong wooden board. The board to the engine is securely fixed with cables in its central part so that it is located across the diametral plane of the engine.
The engine has special notches forfastening of cables. Slings should have a slight slack, since when the engine is moved to the body, the board will lie on its wings with its edges, and will hold it in this position for the entire period of the engine fastening. If the cables are too short, the engine will not stand on its seats and will be suspended. Wings must be covered with a soft material to protect the paintwork from damage to the board.
- Before you put the engine on the WHA oranother car, you need to remove the bonnet cover from the car's body. This will free up space and protect the cover from possible damage. Before installing the engine, it is recommended to remove the gearbox. Of course, you can put the engine and with the gearbox installed, but this will take much more time and effort, besides, it takes some experience for such a procedure.
- The engine is attached to the car bodySpecial supports with rubber anti-vibration pads. Two people lift the engine with the attached board and gently lower it to the seats in the car's body. In this case, the third person keeps the engine in the right position and directs it to avoid damage to the casing and other equipment during installation. If the attachment is mounted on the engine (starter, alternator, air filter, cooling fan), then before installing the engine without sufficient experience, it can be dismantled to simplify installation and avoid possible damage.
- While two people (or a winch) supportthe engine is in the right position, the third person installs rubber anti-vibration mounts and fixes them with bolts, without pinching to the end and leaving the ability to shift the engine in the right directions when installing the gearbox.
- After installing the engine and securing the rubberyou can start installing the gearbox. The board, with which the engine was placed in the car, is not removed until the gearbox is fully installed and fastened. The edges of the board are lowered onto the wings of the car. If the laying of the board on the cables appeared slack, then it must be eliminated, the lines should be a little stretch. When installing the gearbox, make sure that the primary shaft precisely enters the special slots of the driven clutch disc.
- After the gearbox has been installed andsecurely fixed, you can finally clamp rubber cushions mount the engine. After fixing the pillows, remove the wooden board and fastening lines.
- When the engine is securely attached to the body,you can start installing attachments: starter, oil filter, generator, cooling fan. After installing attachments, we begin to connect the systems and engine controls. We connect the fuel supply line to the gasoline pump, install the throttle body of the carburettor and the control cable of the air dampers. We fasten the intake pipe of the muffler to the exhaust manifold. Install the air filter on the carburetor.
- Install the radiator, thermostat, connecthoses of a supply and removal of a cooling liquid to the engine and a broad tank. We connect wiring to temperature, pressure, starter and electric pumps (if any). At the final stage, once again, we check the correctness of connecting the units and units and install the bonnet cover.