How to sew a dress with your own hands?
Watch the video
Despite the fact that the stores of shopping centers offer a large assortment of different dresses, we can not always pick up a thing to fit your body, taste, etc.
A good way out of this situation is to visit a professional seamstress, however, in this case you will have to pay not only for fabric and materials, but also for the work of a specialist. Therefore, an excellent solution is an independent sewing.
How to sew a simple dress with your own hands
Preparation for tailoring
- Put on the clothes that you plan to wear under the dress: do not take measurements from a naked body, because the bra will increase the chest.
- Stand straight: your back and knees are straight.
- Chest circumference: Using a tailor meter, measure the protruding parts of the chest.
- Waist circumference: the measurement is taken from the narrowest part of the waist.
- Hip circumference: the measurement is taken from the most protruding part of the buttocks.
- Breast height: the measurement is taken from the lower part of the neck to the most protruding point of the chest.
- Front Length: Measurement is taken from the base of the neck to the waist across the chest.
- Back length: measure the distance from the shoulder to the waist.
- Back width: the distance from shoulder to shoulder across the shoulder blades is measured.
- Shoulder length: the measurement is taken from the base of the neck to the shoulder point.
- Sleeve length: it is necessary to measure the distance from the end point of the shoulder to the wrist, the hand is slightly bent when taking this measurement.
- Arm circumference: the measurement is taken on the widest part of the arm.
- Neck Girth: The measurement is taken around the neck at the base.
- Leg length: from the outside the measure is taken from the waist to the floor, and from the inside - from the groin to the floor.
- Next, determine the length of the product: it is necessary to measure the distance from the cervical point to the level of the desired length.
Determine the amount of fabric
- If the girth of the hips does not exceed the width of the fabric by 10 centimeters, then the fabric consumption for the dress is calculated as the length of the product plus 15 centimeters per hem, plus the material for additional parts is calculated separately according to the pattern (collar, assembly, etc.);
- If the girth of the hips does not exceed the width of the fabric by 10 centimeters, then the fabric consumption for the dress is calculated as the length of two dresses plus 15 centimeters per hem.
Necessary tools and materials
- Two-way tailor meter;
- Tracing paper or paper;
- Chalk or a bar of soap;
- Pins, needles;
- Iron and ironing board;
- Sewing machine with integrated overlock;
- The cloth.
The easiest way to make a pattern is to transfer the finished one from a magazine using copy paper. Currently, the choice of the magazine is not difficult.
Next we look at how to build the pattern yourself. For example, take the pattern of the dress, which will consist of a top and a half sun skirt.
- Take a topic that fits very tightly on your body, and put its back on the paper and in front, stepping back one or two centimeters to bend.
- To build a skirt pattern: draw a straight line from the top left point down and to the right so that a right angle forms.
- Calculate the radius according to the formula: add one centimeter to the waist semicircle and multiply by a coefficient equal to 0.64 cm.
- Measure the length obtained for straight lines and draw a semicircle through the starting point with a compass.
- Add two centimeters to the waist allowance, one centimeter to the side seams and two centimeters to the bottom of the product.
- Cut the resulting patterns.
Dress making process
Next, you need to transfer patterns to the fabric with a piece of soap or chalk. For more accurate tailoring, you can pin the pattern to the fabric with sewing needles.
First you need to cut out of the fabric of the dress. In our case, these are front and back for the topic and skirt.
Now proceed directly to the sewing process.
- First you need to sew the front and back of the top with a sewing machine.
- Next, sew the side seams of the skirt and do a fitting.
- After fitting, it is necessary to attach the underwear gum to the place for the belt.
- Sew through the bottom of the skirt.
- Next, you need to make a belt of fabric that will connect our top and skirt. To do this, you can take the same fabric from which the dress is sewn or purchase fabric of a contrasting color.
- Draw a straight line that will be equal to the girth of your waist plus one centimeter. Width for a belt define independently at will.
- Cut out the blank for the belt and connect the parts of the dress.
- For this type of dress is suitable and purchased top. It will be necessary to sew only the half sun skirt and sew it to the top of the belt.
- The resulting dress can be decorated with beads, sequins or embroidery, if the fabric does not provide a bright print.
- Iron the dress well on the seamy side with an iron and hang it on a coat hanger: it is recommended to let it hang for 24 hours.
If you have seriously decided to do sewing, then our following articles will help you in this matter:
How to make a mannequin with your own hands
If you often sew and the fitting process takes a lot of time and inconvenience, make an individual dummy.
What is needed
- Construction tape;
- Put on a vest and ask a member of your family to wrap you with building tape: you need to wrap it in several layers, starting from the neck and ending at the hips. Pre-neck must be wrapped with cling film.
- Next, you need to cut the resulting structure behind the back and gently remove.
- Close the incision line and fill the dummy with a padding polyester.
- After you have completely filled the structure, it is necessary to glue the holes for the arms and torso with cardboard: cut out the required form from cardboard and glue it to the dummy, fix it with tape if necessary.
- The final stage is the search for the dummy stand.It can serve as a leg of a chair on wheels or the base of a floor lamp.