Money Lane, 13 - Bohl-Guthale Mansion.
The current mansion at Denezhny lane, 13, in which the great composer Sergey Vasilievich Rachmaninov used to be, appeared on this place after 1812. The house built of wood was significantly modified after reconstruction in the 1880s. The project was created by architect Vladimir Pavlovich Gavrilov.
The representative of the Moscow merchants, Nikolai Konstantinovich Bol, became the first well-known homeowner, and after a while the manor was bought out by an honorary citizen and businessman Karl Aleksandrovich Gutheil, who lived in these walls from the end of the 19th century until the middle of the second decade of the 20th century.
Karl Alexandrovich, a Germanized Russian, inherited from his parent a music publishing company that produced notes and scores of compositions. In addition, the firm Gutheyla had a corporate music shop and for some time even published the monthly Musical Magazine.
It is worth noting that "Publishing A.Gutheyl "before the revolution was one of the most significant in the Russian Empire. There were produced scores of musical works not only of Russian composers - Alexei Nikolaevich Verstovsky, Alexander Sergeyevich Dargomyzhsky, Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka, Milia Alekseevich Balakirev and others, but also Western Europeans.
After the start of World War I, where Germany became the main enemy of Russia, persecution of representatives of the German nation began in the country. In connection with these tragic events, Karl Alexandrovich was forced to leave his real homeland in 1915, having sold the company to a musician, conductor and entrepreneur Sergey Alexandrovich Kusevitsky, the owner of Russian Music Publishing House, before leaving.
... it was interesting to learn that Guthale was the first to publish the musical works of the great Sergey Vasilyevich Rakhmaninov. He personally saw a talented young man who had just graduated from the Moscow Conservatory, and immediately offered to publish his thesis work, the opera Aleko. And then the entrepreneur and the composer were linked by a strong friendship, and Rachmaninov often visited this house on Denezhny Lane.
No stranger was Guthale and charity. So, he was together with Stanislavsky Konstantin Sergeevich, Nemirovich-Danchenko Vladimir Ivanovich and Morozov Savva Timofeevich in the "Partnership for the establishment of a public theater in Moscow", which eventually turned into Moscow Art Theater (Moscow Art Theater).
After the revolution, the mansion of Bol-Guthale was turned into state ownership and was used for the placement of state structures. Today the house is owned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation.