Pictures of the week: September 20-24
In today's photo selection of the week you will see:
* elections in Afghanistan;
* preparations for the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi;
* Parliamentary elections to be held in Venezuela today
* a fight for the balls during the International Day of Peace in Kabul ...
…and much more.
(Total 21 photos)
1. Indian woman has a bowl of sand on the head near the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium - the main venue of the Commonwealth Games - in New Delhi. The chaos of preparations for the games, as they say, “at the last minute” began to justify itself when whole armies of cleaners finally managed to put in order a sports village, and many foreign teams promised to come to a sporting event. (AP Photo / Kevin Frayer)
2. Visitors ride the amusement park amusement park at the Oktoberfest in Munich. (AP Photo / Matthias Schrader)
3Five-year-old Sylfa Makharani fell asleep on chessboards while the Indonesian rising star of chess sports, 14-year-old junior champion Masrouri Rahman (not in the photo), plays simultaneously with 200 students in the gymnasium of Jakarta during a demonstration game in honor of the Day of Sport. Masrouri won a gold medal at the age of 13 at the 5th World School Chess Championship in Greece in 2009. A high school student comes from a poor family with six children. His father, who taught Masruri to play chess, works as a rickshaw, and his mother accompanies his son to all games. (ROMEO GACAD / AFP / Getty Images)
4. Pakistani activists from the radical Jamaat-e-Islami party shout anti-American slogans and burn tires during a protest rally in Lahore, after the United States sentenced Pakistani scholar Afia Siddiqi to 86 years in prison for attempting to kill the US military. The New York State Court found 38-year-old Afinia Siddiqi, nicknamed by the American media, Mata-Hari Al-Qaida, guilty of attempting to assassinate the US military in Afghanistan. (Arif Ali / AFP / Getty Images)
5. A supporter of Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez in a devil costume, symbolizing the United States, poses for a photo during a rally in Caracas. On September 26, legislative elections will be held in Venezuela.(AP Photo / Leonardo Ramirez)
6. A man walks past a wall with a portrait of Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez in Caracas to buy an ep22 cartridge for a printer. On September 26, legislative elections will be held in the country, the results of which are likely to undermine the presidential influence on the national assembly, giving the opposition the first votes since it boycotted the last elections in 2005. (MIGUEL GUTIERREZ / AFP / Getty Images)
7. Lisetta and Bastian Gallardo - the grandchildren of one of the 33 Chilean miners Mario Gomez - are playing near the camp, beaten by the relatives of the miners, not far from the mine where they are under the rubble. The fastest drilling machine out of the three called for help by miners - RIG-421 - began work on September 20 and has already made a 60 cm diameter hole with a bicycle wheel through which miners can crawl. During the rescue operation, the miners will rise to the surface with a special capsule. (ARIEL MARINKOVIC / AFP / Getty Images)
8. Congolese soldier stands ready in the small town of Walikale. The brutality and violence in this corner of the Congo intensified again. There is a continuing struggle for mineral resources among several armed groups, including the Congolese army. (AP Photo / Schalk van Zuydam)
9.Afghan children fight for balloons during the International Day of Peace in Kabul. (AP Photo / Gemunu Amarasinghe)
10. The girl walks under the illuminated scenery in Victoria's Hong Kong Park, decorated for the fall festival. Like the ancient Chinese poets, the people of Hong Kong admire the beauty of the full moon during the festival of the fall, which this year fell on September 22. The Chinese believe that on this day the moon is the largest, round and bright, and the word “round” in Chinese language implies family reunion. (AP Photo / Kin Cheung)
11. Indian Muslim looks at the thunderclouds over one of the largest Indian mosques Jama Masjid in New Delhi. This year, India is expected to have a long rainy season after the drought season last year. The annual rainfall season, which lasts from June to October, brings the country the necessary rainfall for agriculture. (AP Photo / Anupam Nath)
12. Firefighters arrange a counter-controlled fire to extinguish a forest fire that runs along a rural road to Rogers Canyon, 16 km northeast of Laramie, Wyoming. (AP Photo / Laramie Boomerang, Andy Carpenean)
13. A flood victim is dragging a donkey cart through the mud in the village of Moro, Sindh Province, Pakistan. As a result of the worst floods in the history of Pakistan, 21a million people, 10 million were left homeless and more than 8 million were forced to rely on humanitarian aid. (RIZWAN TABASSUM / AFP / Getty Images)
14. A group of cyclists rides near Puerto de Navacerrada at the 20th stage of the Spanish bicycle race.
15. A representative of the heap ethnic group shows a finger in ink during the parliamentary elections in Kabul. (AP Photo / Saurabh Das)
16. Afghans are waiting at the polling station to vote in parliamentary elections in Mazar-i-Sharif, Balkh Province, north of Kabul. Afghans went to the polls despite threats from the Taliban and a wave of terrorist attacks. These were the first elections in the country since the presidential election last year, which were marred by data falsification. The finger of the woman in the photo is smeared in traditional henna. (AP Photo / Mustafa Quraishi)
17. A model demonstrates a dress from designer Carolyn Charles at London Fashion Week, where designers demonstrated their Spring / Summer 2011 collections. (AP Photo / Joel Ryan)
18. Bangladesh worker carries a basket with clay pots in Dhaka. Bangladesh is one of the poorest nations on the planet — more than 40% of the population lives on less than $ 1 a day. (MUNIR UZ ZAMAN / AFP / Getty Images)
19. Afghan women are preparing to vote in parliamentary elections in Kabul.(AP Photo / Hossein Fatemi)
20. Young people playing mini-golf in the Berlin Kreuzberg area. The mini golf hall was designed by the artist Sinneswandel and has different rooms with 18 holes. (JOHANNES EISELE / AFP / Getty Images)
21. The mother of Kashmir, Yasir Rafiq, a relative of the separatist leader Yasin Malik, is reassured at his funeral in Srinagar. Rafic was shot while he was playing in the street during a curfew last month. He died from his wounds in a New Delhi hospital.