Siberian units in the 10th Infantry Division of the NKVD troops
Studies of the history of the internal troops of the period of the Great Patriotic War occupy one of the central places in the work of studying the experience of their construction and service and combat use.
An important activity of the NKVD troops during the Great Patriotic War was the formation of units, formations and associations to replenish the army in the field.
Already on June 29, 1941, the Headquarters of the High Command decided to form 15 divisions from the personnel of the border and internal troops of the NKVD to transfer them to the active army. The formation of divisions was entrusted to L.P. Beria For this purpose, from the personnel of the NKVD troops, 1,000 people were assigned to the private and junior commanding staff and 500 to the commanding personnel for each unit. The concentration of personnel allocated from the troops of the NKVD at the points of formation was completed by July 17, 1941.
Political workers of the 10th rifle division of the NKVD troops. From left to right: Ya. V.Povarov - senior battalion commissar, head of the division's political department, N. M. Shcherbina - battalion commissar of the 272nd regiment, P.N. Kuznetsov - regimental commissar, military commissar of the 10th rifle division of the NKVD troops. 1942
At the end of the formation and short-term combat training, all divisions were sent to the armies of the Reserve, Northern and Western fronts. All units took an active part in the defense of Leningrad, the battle of Moscow, and many defensive and offensive operations of the Great Patriotic War.
In the battles of World War II a special place is occupied by Siberians. Siberian divisions and regiments fought on all sectors of the immense Soviet-German front, participated in Moscow, Stalingrad, Kursk and other major operations, as well as in battles against the Japanese militarists.
The Siberian units were part of the famous 10th Infantry Division of the internal troops of the NKVD of the USSR. It was formed on February 1, 1942 on the territory of the Stalingrad region by order of the NKVD of the USSR No. 0021 of January 5, 1942 pursuant to the Decree of the State Defense Committee of the USSR No. 1099-ss of January 4, 1942 “On the organization of garrisons of NKVD troops in cities liberated by spacecraft The 41st border regiment of the NKVD, 269,270, 271, 272 and 273rd infantry regiments of the NKVD, a separate company of combat support, a separate medical and sanitary company.
Commander of the 10th Infantry Division of the Internal Troops of the NKVD of the USSR Colonel Alexander Sarayev
The division commander was Colonel Alexander Andreyevich Sarayev, commander of the 27th brigade of the troops of the NKVD of the USSR for the protection of railway structures (Novosibirsk). Major Vasily Ivanovich Zaitsev became the head of the division headquarters. The numerical composition of the compound was 7568 people.
After formation, the division was subordinated to the chief of the regional administration of the NKVD, A.I. Voronin.
The 272nd regiment arrived to form a division from Irkutsk. Part commanded by Major Grigory Petrovich Savchuk. The military commissar was the battalion commissar Ivan Mefodyevich Shcherbina (died September 24, 1942), the chief of staff was Captain Shcherba.
The 273rd regiment (1st formation) was formed in the city of Berdsk near Novosibirsk in June 1942. The regiment was commanded by Major Philip Nazarovich Morozov.
The 269th and 270th rifle regiments were formed in Stalingrad, mainly from local residents.
According to the current states, the rifle regiment of the NKVD troops included three rifle battalions,a four-gun 45-mm anti-tank gun, a mortar company (four 82-mm and eight 50-mm mortars), a company of machine gunners, a communications company, separate platoons (reconnaissance, sapper and chemical defense, rear units). Each rifle battalion had three rifle companies and a machine-gun platoon (4 mounted machine guns of the Maxim system).
On March 17 - 22, 1942 divisions of the division in Stalingrad checked the documents with the citizens. As a result of the operation, 9 spies were arrested, 106 criminals, 187 people with suspicious documents.
The fighters of the 10th rifle division of the internal troops of the NKVD of the USSR are checking the documents on the streets of Stalingrad.
In June, the personnel of the 273rd Novosibirsk rifle regiment near the village of Novoanninskaya destroyed 47 and captured 2 people from the enemy assault force, who were dressed in the uniform of the Red Army soldiers and armed with Soviet machine guns and pistols.
On July 13 - 27, 1942, part of the division, while protecting the military rear of the Stalingrad Front, was detained by 15 spies and 2,775 people without documents.
On August 14, the 273rd Novosibirsk Rifle Regiment was excluded from the formation and departed to the Ordzhonikidze rifle division of the NKVD troops, and on August 16 the 282nd rifle regiment of the NKVD from the 12th rifle division of the NKVD entered the division.This regiment was sent to assist the consolidated battalion in the northern part of Stalingrad.
On the left bank of the Volga, the compound was supported by several artillery battalions of the reserve of the High Command.
In the summer of 1942, the 10th Division, together with the people's militia, took the first blow of the enemy, rushing to the Volga. On August 2, the 2nd Infantry Battalion of the 270th Infantry Regiment in Stalingrad first fought the German army.
Stretching for 50 kilometers, the division led fierce battles with the enemy. In the first days of the battle for the city, headquarters dugouts were located in the ravine of the Tsaritsa River.
Fighters of the 271st regiment of the 10th division of the NKVD of the USSR on the construction of a command post on the Tsaritsa River
On August 10, an order came to appoint the division commander, Colonel A.A. Sarajevo head of the garrison of Stalingrad. His duties included not only providing the ground defense of the city, but also controlling river transport.
In late August, the senior major of the state security A.I. Voronin reported to L.P. Beria: “The Directorate of the NKVD and the NKVD troops behind the city of Stalingrad for August 21 and 22 arrested 1077 people, including 14 who escaped from the encirclement, 48 deserters, 754 servicemen who had fallen behind their units, 20 people of the criminal criminal element.”
In the period from August 10 to 23, the division's efforts were mainly aimed at creating defense around the city impenetrable to the enemy. To this end, 14 battalion defense areas were built. Anti-tank ditches were discovered on the outskirts and within the boundaries of Stalingrad, mine barriers were installed, barricades and other obstacles were built. The division, together with a battalion of workers defended the Stalingrad Tractor Plant. Later, they managed to throw the enemy several kilometers, despite its superiority in technology and manpower.
Fighters of the 178th rifle regiment of the troops of the NKVD of the USSR for the protection of particularly important industrial enterprises
(Volgograd regional historians are mistakenly attributed to the 10th rifle division of the internal troops of the NKVD of the USSR)
The cadets of the military-political school and the 272nd Irkutsk rifle regiment under the command of Major GP Savchuk. For five days of fierce battles, the regiment did not allow the selective units of the 295th, 71st infantry and 24th tank divisions of the Germans to allow the city defensive fortifications of the fortifications. In the battles the enemy suffered significant losses, thwarted the plans of the Germans to break into the city center and seize the main city ferry across the Volga.
September 8 began fighting for the southern part of the Voroshilovsky district. By the middle of the day on September 9, the advanced units of the NKVD, who were in the second echelon, were under the direct blow of the enemy. The counterattack was swift and came as a complete surprise to the enemy. On the left flank of the regiment the position was restored. On the right flank, the Nazis attacked the left flank of the 2nd Battalion. But the 6th rifle company under the command of Lieutenant N. Belyakov fought selflessly and defended their positions.
On September 12, by the military order of the commander of the South-Eastern Front, the defense of the city was assigned to the 62nd Army, which included the 10th division of the NKVD troops.
On September 13, the enemy troops planned to storm the city. In the morning, the enemy opened strong artillery and mortar fire on the fortifications of the units, including the section of the 269th rifle regiment of the division. Aviation groups of up to 40 aircraft bombed areas. At 7.00 the enemy went on the offensive. For three hours, parts of the 62nd Army repulsed the attacks of the enemy, who broke through the defenses of the first echelon units, rejected the military guard and went to the front edge of the 269th infantry regiment of the 10th division of the NKVD troops.
In an exceptionally difficult situation, the 269th Infantry Regiment held the defense sector, blocking the way to Mamayev Kurgan. The 270th Infantry Regiment of Major A.K. entered the battlefield in the central direction. Zhuravleva. September 13, despite the numerical superiority, the enemy did not break into the city center.
German soldiers climb the slope of the ravine Long. Behind the back
photographer position of the 269th rifle regiment of the internal troops of the NKVD of the USSR
The immortal feat was accomplished by the Red Army man of the 270th regiment Alexei Vashchenko. During the attack, under the heavy fire of the easel machine gun, he closed the embrasure of the bunker with his body, giving the company a chance to attack the enemy. For personal courage, heroic self-sacrifice A. Vaschenko was posthumously awarded the Order of Lenin, a street in Volgograd was named after him.
Early in the morning of September 14, the aviation and artillery preparation of the enemy began. The entire front of the Soviet troops from Mamayev Kurgan to Kuporosniy was subjected to a blow. Following this, on the entire front, the Nazis went on the attack. Large forces of infantry and tanks stormed the positions of defenders of the city.
Only against the 269th rifle regiment of the 10th division of the NKVD troops was concentrated up to eight infantry battalions and about 50 tanks.At 2.00 pm, two battalions of enemy riflemen with three tanks went to the rear of the regiment and occupied the summit of height 102.0 (Mamayev Kurgan). The Nazis opened fire on the village of the plant "Red October".
To return the height, a company of machine gunners from the 269th rifle regiment of Junior Lieutenant N.F. Dear and 416th Infantry Regiment of the 112th Infantry Division with two tanks. By 18.00, the height was repulsed. The defense on it was taken by the 416th regiment and partly by the KGB units.
In two days of fighting, the 269th Infantry Regiment destroyed more than a thousand and a half soldiers and officers, knocked out about 20 enemy tanks.
On the night of September 15, the enemy occupied the station and went to the rear of the 272nd Irkutsk rifle regiment and the 1st battalion of the 270th rifle regiment. There was nothing to repel the blow, bloody battles ensued on the whole front from Mamayev Kurgan to Kuporosny.
The battle zone of the 272nd rifle regiment of the internal troops of the NKVD in the period from September 14 to September 27, 1942
At dawn on September 16, four KGB warriors fought an unequal battle with the advancing tanks for over an hour. At the cost of their own lives, they destroyed 20 enemy vehicles. All four warriors were posthumously awarded high state awards.
In the period from September 18 to 20, units of the 10th Division fought the hardest in the city. Warriors stood to death. By this time, there were 65 people in the 271st regiment, and about 100 soldiers in the 270th. The personnel of these regiments were transferred to the 272nd Irkutsk Regiment. On September 20, the 282nd, 269th and 272nd regiments remained in the division.
By the beginning of October 1942, of the 10th division of the NKVD troops, there remained one 282nd infantry regiment defending a height of 135.4. Together with parts of the northern group of troops of the 62nd Army, he fought stubborn defensive battles throughout September, and in some sectors he improved his position. In early October, the surviving fighters were consolidated into two companies, which entered the consolidated battalion headed by Captain Ryabchevsky.
The losses of the division were heavy. By order of the commander of the Stalingrad Front, on October 3, 1942, the division was withdrawn from the battles and shipped over the Volga to the village of Zaplavnoe. Out of 7568 people of the initial composition of the compound, just over 200 people crossed the right bank of the Volga.
German soldiers at the monument to V. S. Kholznov. The remains of the 272nd infantry regiment came to the area of this monument.
Thus ended the participation of the 10th division of the NKVD in the Battle of Stalingrad. For 56 days and nights, the KGB warriors courageously defended Stalingrad.
For the period from August 23 to October 3, 1942, the division destroyed up to 15,000 German soldiers and officers in battles over the defense of Stalingrad, destroyed and destroyed 113 tanks, 8 armored vehicles, 6 guns, 51 mortars, 138 machine guns, 2 ammunition depots, shot down 2 aircraft captured the Wehrmacht regiment banner.
In November 1942, on the basis of the order of the NKVD of the USSR No. 002356 of October 27, 1942, the division was reorganized according to the NPO states and renamed the Stalingrad rifle division of the NKVD troops.
By the directive of the Supreme Headquarters of the Red Army No. 46052 of February 5, 1943 “On the inclusion of the 70th Army in the Red Army”, the entire division was transferred from February 1, 1943 to the Red Army and renamed the 181st Stalingrad Order of Lenin Rifle Division .
The Red Army soldiers of the 269th rifle regiment of the internal troops of the NKVD in Stalingrad
Subsequently, the fighting traditions of the hero-city on the Volga, the warriors of the division multiplied in the battles of Kursk, during the crossing of the Vistula. The war ended in the city of Breslau (Breslau). The military prowess of the Stalingrad security officers was highly appreciated by their homeland. In addition to the Order of Lenin, the division was awarded the Order of the Red Banner, Suvorov and Kutuzov of two degrees.
In Volgograd, a monument to the soldiers of the 10th division of the NKVD troops and the police of Stalingrad - the defenders of the city in 1942 - 1943 -
One of the streets of the Central District of Volgograd is named after the 10th division of the NKVD, 8 streets are named after the soldiers of the division.
It was noted earlier that on August 14, 1942, the 273rd rifle regiment was excluded from the 10th division and departed to the 12th Ordzhonikidze rifle division of the NKVD troops formed in accordance with the order of the NKVD of the USSR of August 10, 1942. The first commander of the division was Major General V.I. Kiselev. In addition to the 273rd regiment, the division included the 34th, 169th, 26th Red Banner Border Regiments and the Special Regiment, formed from the cadets of the Ordzhonikidze Military School of the NKVD troops. CM. Kirov.
On August 24, units of the division became part of the Northern Group of the Transcaucasian Front. They were stationed in Ordzhonikidze and set about the construction of fortifications in the city and on the Georgian Military Highway. By October 1942, with the active help of the local population, the construction of fortifications was mainly completed.
From 1 to 11 November, units of the Ordzhonikidze rifle division of the NKVD together with attached units fought fierce battles with superior enemy forces,inflicted heavy losses in manpower and equipment, and they themselves launched an offensive. During this period, over 2,000 enemy soldiers and officers were destroyed by units, 9 aircraft were shot down, 14 tanks and 32 vehicles were destroyed, 16 tanks were captured, 12 mortar batteries and 2 artillery batteries were put down. In the battles of Ordzhonikidze, the fighters and commanders showed samples of heroism and courage. More than 300 people were awarded orders and medals.
As part of the 34th motorized rifle regiment of the division, the division commander, junior sergeant Peter Parfenovich Barbashev, a native of the village of Bolshoi Syugan of the Menshikovsky village council of the Vengerovsky district of the Novosibirsk region, fought. He graduated from seven classes of rural schools. He worked on the collective farm Kirov Memory, then headed the Mariinsky hut reading room. He was elected deputy of the village council.
In 1939 he was drafted into the troops of the NKVD, graduated from the school of junior commanders. Member of the Great Patriotic War since June 1941. November 9, 1942 in the battle for the village of Gizel (now Prigorodny district of the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania), Junior Sergeant P. Barbashev with a group of fighters discovered a firing point. Having volunteered to destroy it and having spent all the ammunition, he rushed to the embrasure and with his body closed the enemy's machine gun.
Peter Parfenovich Barbashev
He accomplished this feat five months earlier than A.Matrosov. By decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of December 13, 1942 for exceptional courage and heroism shown in the struggle against the German invaders, the younger sergeant Barbashev Peter Parfenovich was posthumously awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union with the award of the Order of Lenin. Peter Barbashev is buried in the city of Vladikavkaz.
On March 18, 1943, by order of the NKVD of the USSR, the 1st separate Sukhum rifle division of the NKVD troops consisting of 3, 26, 145, 290, 308th rifle regiments and separate battalions of the 175th and 273rd infantry regiments.
The division became part of the 56th Army of the North Caucasus Front. From March to June 1943, its units took part in the breakthrough of the Blue Line of the enemy in the Kuban and other offensive and defensive battles. In the battles in the Kuban more than 2,000 soldiers and officers of the compound were awarded orders and medals. By order of the NKVD of the USSR of April 13, 1944, the Ordzhonikidze division was renamed the 9th rifle division of the NKVD troops.
The warriors of the 10th rifle division of the NKVD troops at the reception of M. I. Kalinin on the occasion of the award
divisions of the Order of Lenin, headed by divisional division A.A. Saraev (extreme right in the second row).
As part of the Ordzhonikidzevskaya (from August 1942), and Sukhumi (until March 20, 1943) rifle divisions of the internal troops of the NKVD, the 273rd Novosibirsk Rifle Regiment of the NKVD took part in the battles for the Caucasus and the Dnieper, where the soldiers and commanders showed many examples courage and heroism.
At the final stage of the Great Patriotic War, the 273rd rifle regiment under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Politykin was awarded the honorary title "Gdansky" for the differences shown in the battles for the capture of the Germans turned into a fortress by the port city of Danzig (Gdansk).
Thus, one of the important activities of the leadership and troops of the NKVD during the Great Patriotic War was the formation of units, formations and associations to replenish the current army, who took an active part in the battle of Moscow, the defense of Leningrad, the Stalingrad and Kursk battles, the battles for the Caucasus and Dnieper, other defensive and offensive operations of the Great Patriotic War. In the battles with the enemy, the KGB warriors displayed unparalleled courage and courage, making a worthy contribution to the achievement of the Great Victory.