Simple file knife
I manually sketched the design of the future knife (taking into account the width and thickness of the file). But I didn’t put an end to it, and in the process I was ready to correct the form.
First, I handled the shank, then moved to the tip. All this was done on a grinding machine. Then he began to grind down the descent, which came out well - not perfect, but I liked it. In the process, I did not let the file heat up, dipping it from time to time into a glass of water so that the steel would not become soft. It was easy to admit, since the thinner the file became, the faster it warmed up. Something attracted the butterfly, and it stayed on my hand throughout the whole process.
Knife blade processing
Then, using P60 emery paper, I made the surface smoother. The notches were left because grinding them would take a lot of time. The blade turned out with concave descents, because the sharpening was carried out on the circle of the grinding machine. I did not expect the surface to be more even.
The handle is made of 6 mm thick brass plate and a purple amaranth bar. I chose them because brass and magenta blend well. I drilled two 5 mm holes in brass and connected them with a drill and a hacksaw blade. Usually in such cases people use different files, but I don’t have them, and I didn’t strive for perfection. The shank through the bolster was inserted into a 5 mm hole in the tree, pre-filled with epoxy resin.
I let the glue dry during the night, then I proceeded to handle the handle. First I cut the bar in two, bringing it closer to the desired length. After that, I clamped the knife with a clamp and proceeded to processing with the help of a disc sander with a grain P120. When working with a bolster, you need to be careful, as the wood, in comparison with brass, grind out much faster. After the profile acquired the desired shape, I proceeded to grinding the sides, giving them a rounded look. The whole process took about an hour.
After processing the handle with sandpaper with P240 grain, using a polishing wheel, I made its surface smoother.There were still scratches on it, but I liked them. After that, the wood was soaked with Danish oil (4 layers with light grinding in between). Then I spiced the butt of the handle with the wheel.
The amaranth tree, becoming oxidized with time, becomes more purple, and in the photo it seems even more red.