Veal. How to choose and what to cook. Veal Osso Bouco - Recipe
Most of the meat that is sold to us as veal, should be called rather young beef. Not so long ago, the technology of growing calves, when they are fed only with one milk and slaughtered at the age of not more than 6 months, began to be used with us.
The meat of a calf grown on milk has a delicate ivory color, with a light pinkish tinge, the bones of such veal are white and very tender.
Veal is very lean and tender meat, it should be cooked more like pork than beef. In the oven, it should be fried at low temperature. When stewing, the veal flavor is intertwined with vegetable flavors and the meat is very juicy. And if you fry thin slices or pieces of veal in olive oil, its taste and texture will only improve. Whatever you do from veal, do it carefully and slowly, and the dish will never disappoint you.
The best piecesSpatula: this is the most suitable piece for quenching, but you can chop it into pieces, large or not, and sprinkle it. Veal is cooked much faster than beef, and you don't have to wait for juicy veal dishes all day.
Ribs and sirloin: this is amazing meat, it is suitable for beautiful festive dishes. Cook the fried ribs, the crowned roast. You can get good results if you cover the meat with a thin layer of fat (uncooked bacon or salted pork), which softens the meat of veal during frying at a constantly low temperature of 160 ° C. For everyday meals, veal is most suitable, chopped into pieces. They are just as tasty and lean. We believe that you should not let them in, it is best to fry in oil. Cooking veal quickly.
Rump and leg. The leg is sometimes separated from the bone, tied with string and roasted in the oven, but more often chopped into pieces of different size. The best steaks are steaks, but thinner pieces are suitable for frying in oil. Small pieces can be used in almost all dishes, besides, they prepare very quickly.
Brisket: This is the most inexpensive part of the calf carcass, but it is very tasty, try stuffing it and baking it in the oven with herbs. The aroma is just amazing.
Toast: Most often, the shank is cut in large transverse pieces, to be subsequently salted. Bone marrow can be used as a pie filling.
It is from shank that we will cook a terrific dish.
Veal Osso BoucoVeal in this dish is stewed to readiness under a thick tomato sauce. In Italy, osso buco is often served with Milanese risotto - this is the only case when the risotto becomes a side dish. This recipe is one of the favorite and time-tested.
1/2 cup universal unbleached flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 pieces of calf shank (about 3 kg), 5 cm thick
1/8 cup cold-pressed olive oil
2 tbsp. l (1/4 pack) unsalted butter
1 onion, coarsely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 can (400 g) of tomatoes in their own juice, without liquid (drain the juice)
1 glass of dry white wine
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1. Salt a little and pepper the flour and roll in it the pieces of meat. Shake off excess.
2. Heat olive and butter in a large heat-resistant or cast-iron pan and fry the veal quickly on moderately high heat from all sides.Put on paper towel and let drain fat.
3. Put onion, garlic, basil and oregano in a frying pan and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and cook on moderately slow fire for another 10 minutes. Remove excess fat.
5. Pour the wine, add the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook over low heat without a lid for 15 minutes.
6. Heat the oven to 180 ° C.
7. Put the veal back into the pan and cover with broth. Cover the pan and put in the oven, bake for 1 ½ hours. Then remove the lid and cook another 30 minutes.
8. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and grated lemon zest before serving.